Skip Navigation Go to main navigation

Home Exchange

If you are a tenant of a Council or registered provider (housing association) you normally have the right to a mutual exchange. This means that you can swap homes with another tenant, provided your Landlord agrees.

How do I find someone to Exchange with?

Devon Home Choice does not operate a home exchange system, however, home exchange partners can be found by joining the Home Swapper scheme through Devon Home Choice. Housing Services will not find a match for you, but once you have registered you will be able to see the details of other people across Devon who wish to exchange.

Alternatively, if you would like to move away from the Devon area,  you can register with the Home Swapper service direct. This is a national service for tenants of social housing who wish to carry out a home exchange.

How do I complete a Home Exchange?

Exeter City Council will assist in all home exchanges for secure tenants of the Council once all parties are happy that they wish to move into each other's home. You must do the following if you wish to go ahead with a home exchange:

  • If you are both tenants of Exeter City Council, you must both contact Housing Services and formally declare your intention to complete a home exchange. If one of the parties is with another landlord, they must contact their provider about the exchange and follow their procedures.
  • Your Neighbourhood Officer will inspect all Exeter City Council properties involved in the exchange and let you know whether there are any fixtures and fittings which will become your responsibility when you move. 
  • Housing Services have six weeks from the date your application is received to make a decision on whether the exchange can take place. If you are successful, we will send you a letter to approve the exchange and let you know arrangements for signing paperwork. 

Why might I be refused?

Sometimes requests for an exchange are refused because of one of the following reasons:

  • One of the exchangees is in rent arrears (we would ask the debt to be cleared before the move could take place)
  • One of the exchangees is under notice to leave
  • The properties are too big or too small for the family intending to occupy
  • One of the properties is specifically for older persons or people with disabilities and the person wishing to move in does not qualify.

If your request is refused, you have the right to appeal against the decision if you feel it is unfair or has not taken your particular circumstances into account.

Condition of the Property

With a home exchange, you will be asked to accept the property in the condition that the last tenant leaves it. The Council will carry out safety checks and routine repairs, but any damage or neglect by the previous tenant will be your responsibility.

To find out more about a home exchange, please contact your Neighbourhood Management team on 01392 265033.


Cookie Policy

Our site uses cookies to store information on your computer; this allows us to give you the best experience possible and to continually improve our site by giving us a better understanding of how it is being used.

By clicking Proceed or continuing without changing these settings, you consent to this but if you would like to change your settings you can do so at any time at the bottom of the page.

Proceed Change Settings
Find out more about Cookies