Skip Navigation Go to main navigation

Registering a marriage

Couples are each required to give notice of civil marriage and in some cases for marriage in a Church or Chapel. Contact the Devon Register Office for more information - contact details to the right of this page.

Civil Ceremony Venues - Reed Hall A civil marriage ceremony may take place in a Registration (Register) Office or other building licensed for civil ceremonies. Visit Approved civil ceremony venues to find approved venues in Exeter. The ceremony is conducted by a Registration Officer; it must be of a strictly non-religious nature.

If you are planning a religious ceremony, you may not need to give notice of marriage at a Registration Office. Visit Religious ceremonies for more information.

For couples living in or wishing to give notice of marriage in the Devon County Council area, contact one of the Devon Registration Offices. This does not need to be in the area where the couple live.

Visit Marriages - Devon County Council for more information, including the legal formalities.


Cookie Policy

Our site uses cookies to store information on your computer; this allows us to give you the best experience possible and to continually improve our site by giving us a better understanding of how it is being used.

By clicking Proceed or continuing without changing these settings, you consent to this but if you would like to change your settings you can do so at any time at the bottom of the page.

Proceed Change Settings
Find out more about Cookies