Skip Navigation Go to main navigation

Householder planning applications

If you are thinking of making alterations to your home, you need to find out if you need planning permission by going to the Applying for planning permission page. Householder planning applications deal with house extensions, garages, enlargements to gardens, erection of walls and fences to domestic properties, or any other outbuildings within the boundary of your own property.

Dropped Kerbs

The Highway Department of Devon County Council (telephone 0345 155 1004) deal with requests for dropped kerbs, however, they require you to first see if planning permission is required from Exeter City Council for the car hardstanding/garage/car port/parking area you are proposing before they will undertake the work.

To find out if you need planning consent for the car hardstanding/garage/car port/parking area you can either complete the Do I Need Planning Consent? Form (see the Do I Need Planning? section from the options towards the top of this page) and send it in to Exeter City Council, or email details of your address and an outline of the proposal, including a sketch of dimensions and photographs (if possible) to

There is no charge for this service. We will respond to your enquiry within 10 working days of receipt. If you wish to chase progress, please telephone 265248.

If your proposal is a permitted development, then Devon County Council will need a copy of our letter to you to proceed with their work. If you need planning permission, DCC will not undertake any work to the kerb until permission is obtained from Exeter City Council.

Householder extensions Supplementary Planning Document

Householder's Guide to Extension Design SPD has been prepared. This identifies the City Council's requirements in relation to domestic extensions and alterations, and forms the basis for the determination of planning applications. Copies are also available from the Customer Service Centre in the Civic Centre, Paris Street, Exeter which is open 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

Permission to other consents

Special rules and additional types of permission may also be needed if you are planning :

  • Work on a Listed buildings - If your property is a listed building you must also apply for listed building consent.
  • Work within Conservation areas.
  • Work on protected tree or trees in a Conservation Area.
  • Outdoor signs or advertisements.

You will need to complete extra forms and plans for these types of work and there may be an additional fee. More details are available from the Applying for planning permission pages and the Planning fees and charges pages.

How to submit a planning application

Planning applications can be submitted via the Governments Planning Portal. Additional Government information about common types of planning applications is also available. Alternatively, Householders applications and information on what to submit with your planning application are available from us.


Cookie Policy

Our site uses cookies to store information on your computer; this allows us to give you the best experience possible and to continually improve our site by giving us a better understanding of how it is being used.

By clicking Proceed or continuing without changing these settings, you consent to this but if you would like to change your settings you can do so at any time at the bottom of the page.

Proceed Change Settings
Find out more about Cookies